Thursday, April 21, 2011

Diane Cowling - Washington

Apr 21, 2011: Diane Cowling, Convicted Animal "House of

Horrors" Hoarder, Found Dead in Jail Cell

Diane Cowling was only a few weeks away from being sentenced (likely to one year in jail) for hoarding dozens of cats and dogs inside her Granite Falls home, which turned into what police described as a "house of horrors" when 30 of the animals died of starvation. Cowling won't be sentenced anymore. She's dead.

She was found dead in her Snohomish County Jail cell last night.

No reason has yet been given for her death, and an autopsy is being performed.

She was 66 years old and supposedly suffered from mental illness..." More & video from Jan 2011

Jan 24, 2011: 2 arrested in animal cruelty case, 3 more animals found

GRANITE FALLS, Wash. -- Three animals were found living with the mother and son accused of dozens of cases of animal cruelty.

Police arrested Diane Cowling, 65, and her 36-year-old son, Michael Cowling, on Monday morning and got another surprise -- three more animals were living with the Cowlings at their new apartment. Among them was a puppy no more than 2 months old.

The animals were taken to Pasado's Safe Haven for evaluation. All three appeared to have been well-fed.

But such wasn't the case when investigators searched the Cowlings' foreclosed home over the weekend. Even seasoned investigators were hocked at what they found.

Inside the home strewn with feces and garbage were 31 dead animals -- 28 cats, two dogs and an animal that had been dead so long that investigators could not tell what it was..." More

Jan 22, 2011: 31 pets found dead in Granite Falls horror house

A mother and son are under investigation for animal cruelty after 28 cats and three dogs were found dead Saturday in a foreclosed home strewn with feces and garbage, officials said.

Granite Falls Police Chief Dennis Taylor called the horrific scene "one of the most deplorable situations" he has ever had to deal with in his law enforcement career.

Three emaciated cats were found barely alive inside the squalid home and were taken to a local animal sanctuary.

Police said the 65-year-old previous homeowner had lived in the home with her 36-year-old son, but they had moved out a few weeks or months ago after the home went into foreclosure.

The son told police that they had ran out of money to care for the animals and did not know what to do..." More

No comments: