Friday, November 12, 2010

Crossing the line -- yes, hoarding can be a disease

By DR. GIFFORD JONES


How can live this way?" This thought always crossed my mind when I entered the office of my medical colleague. For years, medical journals and other assorted material were stacked a foot or more high all over his desk. In fact, they were so high he had to talk to patients in his examining room rather than his office. But it seems he was not alone.

A study conducted in 2008 by Johns Hopkins Medical School revealed hoarding may be more prevalent than previously thought. Researchers concluded that one in 20 people may suffer from some form of hoarding.

In fact, it appears I'm one of the 20! My wife recently threatened, "If you don't toss out those old shoes, I will." But I like old shoes, just like old wine, and never want to part with comfortable well-worn footwear..." More

No comments: